Skip to main content

Featured

The Aeronaut's Windlass - Jim Butcher

  One-word review: Extensive. Let's get one thing out of the way first: I haven't read The Dresden Files . I don't even really know what The Dresden Files are about. Bottom line, I'm incredibly intimidated by The Dresden Files . So, now that I've used the words "The Dresden Files" in four consecutive sentences, I will not be using them again. If you're looking for any comparison between Butcher's old (and much more famous) book series and this one, look elsewhere. Commence review: In my mind, there are three ways to write a book set in a new fantasy/sci-fi world. There is the rare standalone novel like Good Omens or Elantris , there is the exceptionally common trilogy-setup-where-the-whole-series-should-be-one-book (which, keep in mind, includes heavy hitters like The Fellowship of the Ring ), and, finally, there is the epic series starter. As far as books that I have reviewed so far on this site go, The Aeronaut's Windlass i

Welcome to FantasyScientist Reviews!

Hello, and welcome to the FantasyScientist review site!

I've been reading fantasy books for many years. I remember that the first fantasy book series I ever dove into was (utterly unoriginally) Harry Potter. I remeber being so proud of myself reading book #4 in 4th grade, thinking I was about to start book #5 and being so ahead of my peers. That was, of course, until spoiler alert Voldemort murders Cedric Diggory at the end of that book, and I was so deeply traumatized that I gave up reading for 4 years.

Michael - surely you mean you gave up reading fantasy for 4 years, right?

Nope. I did not read another book until 8th grade, where my English teacher, Mr. Grassey, forced us to read six books of our choosing each semester. It was really that last part, "of our choosing" that saved me, because instead of reading the tough to digest books they gave in school (no shade to Billy S., but A Midsummer's Night's Dream just didn't really make that much sense to me at the time). Instead, I got to read The Chronicles of Narnia which were wonderfully short and easy reads, and Eragon, which was written by someone only one year older than was!

After that, I really fell into a rut of reading every young adult fantasy book I could get my hands on... and I'm still in that rut today. I could (and probably will) write an entire post about why I love YA fantasy so much, but suffice to say it they will probably make up the majority of the reviews around here. Don't worry though, I also read plenty of non-YA fantasy, and plan to write about those two

So, what do I plan on doing with this blog?

I find, that after every book I read, it seems to fit categorically somewhere in my mind. Then, like planting a seed in the ground, a beautiful fresh rant emerges from it's placement in that category. Yes, this blog is a place for me to rant about what books do well, and, more often, what they do poorly. So, if you like fantasy, like rants, or just like me, stick around! I hope to write one review a week, and sprinkle in some other little posts like book recommendations and some "best of" threads.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Michael 

Popular Posts